Teaching Staff Mobility

Teaching staff mobility (STA)




Erasmus+ supports teaching periods at higher education institutions (HEIs) abroad.

If you work in higher education, you can spend time teaching at an institution in an Erasmus+ Programme or Partner country.

Teaching opportunites are also available to staff working in Programme country organisations.

Examples of such organisations include businesses, public bodies, social partners, research institutes and non-governmental organisations.


A teaching period between two Programme countries must last a minimum of 2 days and a maximum of 2 months. This excludes travelling time.

A teaching period between a Programme country and a Partner country must last a minimum of 5 days and maximum of 2 months. This excludes travelling time.

During your stay abroad, the teaching activity must comprise a minimum of 8 hours per week (or any shorter period of stay) of actual teaching time.


If you work in a HEI, your institution must either, in the case of Programme countries, hold the Erasmus+ Charter for Higher Education or, in the case of Partner countries, have signed an inter-institutional agreement with the receiving institution.

Programme country HEIs also have the opportunity to invite staff from businesses or other organisations located in Programme countries to teach at their institution.

Before beginning your teaching period, you, your HEI and the receiving institution sign a Mobility Agreement. This document sets out your learning goals, rights and responsibilities and also how the teaching period will be recognised.

Financial support

EU grants provide a contribution to your costs for travel and subsistence during your time abroad and vary depending on:

  1. The receiving country
  2. In the case of mobility within Programme countries, the level of demand from staff from your country who intend to teach abroad
  3. The distance between your country and the receiving country
  4. In the case of mobility within Programme countries, availability of other financial sources in your country or region

If your teaching period abroad is between Programme countries as higher education staff, your sending institution will be responsible for making all payments. If you come from a business or organisation, the HEI that invited you to teach takes care of the payments. If your teaching period abroad is between Programme and Partner countries, your sending and receiving institutions will decide which one will make your payments.

Grant levels for teaching periods abroad between Programme and Partner countries are published in the Erasmus+ Programme Guide. Check with your National Agency and your sending HEI for applicable rates for teaching periods between Programme countries.

How to apply

You apply for a grant via your higher education instiution. HEIs select candidates for teaching periods abroad from their staff or invite staff from businesses or other organisations.

The selection of staff to teach abroad should be fair, transparent and well documented.

Find out more

Contact the international office of your higher education institution to find out if these opportunities are available to you.

The Programme Guide also offers detailed information on these opportunities:

The National Agencies, for Programme countries, and National Offices, for Partner countries (where available), can help with queries and applications.